I am currently looking for anyone who may be interested in contributing to this site as a guest writer.

Topics would be yours to choose, as long as they are doctrinally sound. They can be commentaries
on selected verses, whole chapters, whole books, personal devotionals, or Psalms you have written.
I also allow Human interest, World news, and even some political reports, as long as those writings
come from a view point as to the effect they have on a Judeo-Christian Worldview.
Please Contact Me if you are interested.

Friday, March 18, 2022

Foolish Amateurs


 “I have always been a fan of amateur sports; from watching my kids to now grandkids, and even high school and college sports. The raw and competitive talent is priceless to watch and enjoy at its core. The word amateur derives from the Latin or the French; which was, amare or to love. It’s neat to think about doing something because you love it, not because you’re being forced or paid to be doing it. The sad thing with any profession like athletics, and even preaching, is that a lot of people do it for money, and only for that reason. I know people need to make a living, but the absurdity of people playing sports and making millions of dollars, while police, firefighters, teachers, and military make peanuts, is just crazy to me. The fact that you also have preachers out there taking advantage of the flocks with big mansions, rolls royces, and fancy clothes is a mockery to God’s word. 


I have never been to seminary, but I did take two classes thru APU, and I’ve listened to many pastors, some good, bad, and way off the deep end. I read and study the Bible daily, and also read many books, and study history, other religions. When I read the Bible daily or I listen to someone speak, I look at what the Bible says. Amos Seven says,


 “Then Amos answered and said to Amaziah, "I was no prophet, nor a prophet's son, but I was a herdsman and a dresser of sycamore figs. But the Lord took me from following the flock, and the Lord said to me, 'Go, prophesy to my people Israel.' Now therefore hear the word of the Lord. "You say, 'Do not prophesy against Israel, and do not preach against the house of Isaac.'” ‭(ESV‬‬)


 God’s prophets in the Bible; and the apostles were ordinary men who were called, and most of them followed. We can think of Moses who though was a great man of God, disobeyed God when he struck the Rock twice at Meribah. We see Jonah who ran from God when he was instructed to go to Nineveh, because he thought the people were too wicked to save. We see one Judge after another disobey God after giving them victory against their enemies. 


Now I know many good pastors who studied and went to seminary, but they are also humble, and know that what they do, they do it for love. I write and study because I love God and I’m an amateur at heart and nothing compared to many learned folks, but like Amos and all the other prophets, I’m led by the Spirit of God. King Amaziah wanted Amos to go away because he didn’t want to hear the Lord and it’s no different today. People don’t want to hear the truth and they would rather have God’s people leave and or be quiet. 


The sad part is that many churches and people have compromised their ministry, and have sold out for money, or to not be “inconsiderate” but God is clear, we share or He will find someone else who will. Remember what Paul’s says in First Corinthians one beginning in verse twenty seven,


“But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.” (ESV)


God has used pagans like King Nebuchadnezzer, a donkey, a prostitute, and all of creations shouts of His glory and truth! Psalm Nineteen one reminds us,


“The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims His handiwork.” (ESV)


Psalm ninety six beginning in verse five says,


“For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the Lord made the heavens. Splendor and majesty are before Him; strength and beauty are in His sanctuary. Ascribe to the Lord, O families of the peoples, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength! Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His Name; bring an offering, and come into His courts! Worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness; tremble before Him, all the earth!” (ESV)


Salvation is free and so is God’s word, you just need to be willing to accept it , and spend time reading it so that you can come closer to God, because that is His desire. Are you an amateur, that everything you do is for a genuine and pure love for God? Are you willing to not chase the world and all that leaves you broken in the end? So my question is what do you love, I pray it is God, and that you desire to draw near to Him.” Jose Barajas

0 comments:

Post a Comment